Foster Care » Home


What is Foster Care?
When children are unable to live safely at home and an appropriate non-custodial parent, relative, or close family friend is currently unable or unwilling to care for them, the court can give temporary legal possession to CPS. The agency then temporarily places these children in foster care. Foster care settings include:

* Kinship caregiver homes;
* Foster family homes;
* Foster family group homes;
* Residential group care facilities; and
* Facilities overseen by another state agency.

Foster care is also known as 'conservatorship' or 'substitute care' and is intended to be a temporary situation for a child until a permanent arrangement can be obtained.

Who can Enroll a Foster Student?
A student may be enrolled by either a representative from Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) or Child Protective Services (CPS); OR an individual from the student's foster placement, such as a foster parent or representative of the shelter.

Forms and Court Documents Needed to Enroll a Student:
Either DFPS Form 2085 (in any form); OR a court order naming a DPFS Temporary Managing Conservator (TMC) or a Permanent Managing Conservator (PMC)